The brain is one of the most important and fragile organs of the entire body. However the brain is tangible, the mind is not. The mind is an abstract amalgamation, comprised of emotions, thoughts, values, and beliefs. Depending on an individual’s current mind mixture, their mood can vary from happy to sad. What if your mind demands an inappropriate mood for the moment? If this is the case, you are not alone. 44 million individuals experience mood disorders in the United States, alone.
The actual term mood disorders, is a blanket classification for several different disorders.
1. Depressive Disorders: This classification encompasses several types of depression disorders; Atypical Depression, Melancholic Depression, Psychotic Major Depression, Catatonic Depression, Postpartum Depression, Seasonal Depression, Dysthmyia Depression, Recurrent Brief Depression, and Minor Depressive Disorder. Each one of these disorders, effects the individual’s emotional state in chronic, varying degrees.
2. Bipolar Disorder: Formerly known as, manic depression, bipolar depression, combines episodes of severe depression and over excitement. An individual who experiences any stage of bipolar disorder will undergo immediate, spontaneous emotional changes. Witnessing someone in these circumstances, has been described, as an “emotional roller coaster ride”.
3. Substance-Induced Mood Disorders: An individual can experience substance-induced mood disorders, either under the influence or in withdrawal. The episodes are filled with anything from depression and paranoia, to manic an hypo-manic symptoms.
4. Alcohol-Induced Mood Disorders: Individuals who struggle with alcoholism, normally, experience severe depression. It is a viscous cycle. In order for an individual to feel better he/she drinks; then once he/she is satisfied depression hits. There is unfortunate no middle ground for this disorder.
5. Benzodiazepine-Induced Mood Disorders: This classification holds a close resemblance to the alcohol or substance induced mood disorders. Benzodiazepine is a medicine prescribed to individuals, suffering from insomnia or anxiety. The addiction to this medicine can off set an emotional typhoon of depression and manic behavior.